Skip to main content

Let every day be Halloween!

Hello again from Jen. 

I have to say I love playing with my Lost Coast stamps!  The minute I saw this set all I could think of is Halloween.


Now I will admit, these are probably not Halloween stamps but for me they are certainly strange enough to fit the theme. In my world, every day is Halloween. Have I mentioned I LOVE Halloween? You get the idea.

So, I made some little tags to remind me just how much I love, well you know...

These tags strung together, make a sweet hanging decoration but you could leave them separate and use them on gift or treat bags as well.

Supplies:
Tag blanks
Decorative paper
Adhesive
Lost Coast stamps AUD Creatures 2
Acrylic paint
Ink pads
Stickers from my stash
Little Birdie flowers
Ribbon

My starting selection.. I have stamped the images on some kraft colored cardstock but you could do any color of cardstock or paper. As usual, I did not use everything pictured.

I loosely cut out the images and trimmed them down further to fit on each tag.
After inking along the edges of the images, I cover the tag in decorative paper and then place the image on top. I have a hole punch and normally that is what I would use to re-punch the hole at the top of the tag. However, I didn't have it with me at the time so I used the end of my paint brush. It wasn't a big deal because I knew that the ribbon I would use to hang these with, would cover the ragged edge.
I had some glittery banner stickers so I added to the tag. Using a flower on the piece gave it a less serious feel while still keeping it strange, if that makes sense. I didn't want a cutesy effect but liked the way the color of the flower made the image softer. I decided to add a bit of gold paper to the top of each tag and some gold pigment acrylic paint here and there on the piece, including the image and the flower. I also used a bit of white acrylic paint and even some orange on one of the pieces, just to soften the edges and give a bit of interest. After I have all of my elements on, I ink the entire edge of the tag so you can not see the manila color any longer. I do this with most of my cards, tags, ATC's, etc. as I like the edge of the piece to match the front. The backs of these tags are not decorated although you certainly could decorate them any way you like. For my purposes, the backs would not be visible. If you are making a tag like this into a gift tag, I would definitely put some coordinating paper  or paint on the back side, in case it were to flip.

Here are the first two tags, done the same way, with different papers. Here you can see the orange paint on the edge.

With all three tags done I used some sari silk, knotted together to hang the tags on. I just pushed the knot through the tag from the back. Since the knot was a little larger, once placed, it does not slide back out of the tag. You can only do this method if the ribbon you are using is larger than the hole you have. If you use thinner ribbon, you may have to secure the tags another way so they don't slip off the ribbon.

Thank you for looking and don't forget, there is still a 10% discount on Lost Coast stamps through the end of this month!

Jen R (Dog-Ma Studio) for Altered Pages




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get on Over!

We like having you visit,  Make sure to subscribe... Just click here - easy peasy November will be filled with Die Cut ART,  join us. Embellish premade pieces art by Barbara Rankin Cut your own pieces Paint or Foil to add interest art by Lyneen Jesse Combine Die cuts in a variety of mediums art by Jean Moore Create with your manual die cutting machine  or buy premade
 Handy Tip for Artists, Recyclers and Neat Freaks! I have a follow-up to the Citra-Sol method for creating fabulous background pages and collages.   I bought a big bag of navel oranges and realized I had the ingredients to make my own solvent!   Simply take a clean glass jar, peel the rind from the oranges and place all the rind/peels, without the pulp (tangerines, oranges, navels) into the jar.   Pour enough vinegar over the peels to cover them.    Allow the jar to sit for a week or two and VOILA!     You have made your own solvent for literally pennies.    You will notice the liquid getting a bit thicker than the plain vinegar and it does not smell bad!!! I now have a  HUGE jar on the window sill!       Be careful and only use this after testing on a safe spot.

DINA WAKLEY Featured Artist

We are SO Proud to present Dina Wakley with her ART and February Tip   (oops, she says she is totally disorganized, so there is HOPE for all of us!) Dina Wakley is a mixed-media artist and teacher. She loves everything about art: creating it, thinking about it, looking at it, and teaching it. Dina is passionate about teaching art. She teaches both in-person and online workshops.  She is a docent at the Phoenix Art Museum, where she gives tours to school groups and gets kids excited about art. As a Ranger Signature Designer, Dina designs a line of mixed-media art supplies that includes acrylic paints, mediums, brushes, rubber stamps, stencils, and more. Look for the Dina Wakley Media Line by Ranger at a store near you.  Dina's books Art Journal Freedom and Art Journal Courage are available now. Also look for three new North Light DVDs starring Dina, available this month: "Art Journal Mark Making and Throwing Ink," Art Journal Color Courage," and &q